If your property has been damaged during a criminal act and the defendant is found guilty, it is possible for you to receive “restitution” as set forth by a court order, and may cover:

  • Your property damage
  • Medical expenses (both current and future)
  • Counseling

It’s critical to discuss your desire for restitution with the prosecuting attorney’s office, and to request a restitution form that will allow you to delineate your expenses, and/or losses.  If the court orders the defendant to make restitution payments, the victim must keep the prosecuting attorney informed of any missed or late payments.

A civil suit can also be brought against the offender in Small Claims Court if the amount is $4,000 or less but for a crime involving damages greater than $4,000, you will likely need to hire an attorney familiar with these types of cases.

Regardless of whether a property crime involves malicious mischief or by an adult or a juvenile, you can still make a claim against your loss.

The Crime Victims Compensation program does assist victims of crimes with the following expenses, but you will note that loss of or damage to personal property is not covered:

  • Medical/dental benefits
  • Wage replacement
  • Prescription coverage
  • Mental health treatment
  • Death benefits, including but not limited to grief counseling, and funeral expenses

Crimes and costs not covered:

  • Identity theft
  • Personal property crimes
  • Crime scene cleanup
  • Injuries sustained:  While attempting to or committing a felony or as a result of your own actions such as provoking, inciting or participating in the event that led to your injuries while incarcerated.

Seattle Property Crime Defense Lawyer

Contact a Seattle property crime defense lawyer at the Nahajski Law Firm to discuss your property crime case.